Friday, June 13, 2008

an update... finally!

Gay Double Date Update!

sorry friends to take so long to blog about this! the days after the double date were crazy and I’ve been out of town all this week! but lo and behold, here are some updates:

my first gay double date was amazing. I really haven’t found words yet to describe it. me and Hope had a blast with one of my old friends from high school and her partner. we cooked out and laughed and talked and caught up. the most incredible part, though, was getting to be free with my affection toward Hope. at first, it was awkward because we’ve never been able to love on each other in public or in front of anyone, because our relationship is in the closet, for necessary reasons. but after a while, it became more natural and comfortable. I found myself flirting with Hope and it was ok! I was able to hold on to her hand and tell her things I would normally only tell her when we are alone. now, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t like PDA central, it was sweet and appropriate and perfect.

I held her at dinner, I was able to stare at her without having to worry about who might notice, and I was able to proudly call her my beloved. to show affection to the woman I was created for, opened up a whole new door of freedom for me personally and relationally. it felt so right and so natural, that by the end of the night I consciously had to stop interacting with Hope so much because we were definitely close to crossing the line of good ol’ public displays of affection. but can you blame me? I mean really. it was my very very very first time ever that I was able to act like a lesbian in front of anyone. plus, I got to love on my future wife in front of one of my best friends! the double date was a match made in heaven, to say the very least.

being “out” for one night in the presence of safe, low-risk people, was exhilarating. it actually grew my love for Hope. I caught a glimpse of what real-world out lesbians must feel like. how awesome must it be to love on your partner without any fear or worry of what other people are thinking or saying.

now I’m so much more aware of same-sex couples in public, even though I don’t see many where I live – conservative right wing fundamentalist capital of America basically. but yesterday, I saw two women hugging on each other and being really sweet, and then I realized it was a mother and daughter. crap. I thought I had found another couple!

side note: yesterday, I sat down with an old pastor friend and some how we got on the topic of homosexuality. he said the usual, “homosexuality is causing the degradation of our society as we know it. may God have mercy on our souls” type crapola that I used to believe too. what was amazing is that it didn’t make me upset like it usually does. I was simply challenged to pray that his eyes, along with the eyes of most conservative Christians, would be opened and they would be freed from their ignorance. his arguments against homosexuality couldn’t have been more flawed. he really had no idea what he was talking about. yet he talked with such confidence. even quoting good ol’ Dobson articles. barf. but it made me realize that we have such a long way to go. which draws me to my knees in day-by-day and moment by moment surrender to the ever so capable and sufficient God who is sovereign over all things.

11 comments:

Fran said...

Be who you are child, be who you are... and that is what you are doing and it is beautiful.

Time is short, but I wanted to comment.

Two links for you - a very excellent podcast for you - very excellent.

And a great blog post.

Stephanie said...

Oh HIC! I'm soooooo excited for you! Yea! I have been anxiously wanting to hear how it went, I almost knocked on your blog today.

I think that is just so fantastic! It is liberating to just be able to be who you are and not feel like you have to hide it, there is power in that.

Thanks for sharing this when you did, it gave me a big smile.

Happy for both you and Hope!

KJ said...

What a fun entry to read! To life! Careful of those PDAs -- your a nice, Christian girl, not a tramp! ;-)

You cause me to relive my early days out, back in '99. I had the good fortune to live near Seattle, and I discovered the group Evangelicals Concerned which had a group that met on Capitol Hill, the "gay ghetto" of Seattle. To be out and exactly who one is is very much like breathing unpolluted air for the first time.

Choralgrrl said...

Yep, KJ, I'm with ya. I remember the first time my Beloved and I went to the local Pride festivities; I wept because I could hold her hand and give her a peck on the lips OUT IN THE SUN. It was warm and lovely.

Hooray, HIC! Blessings to you.

And yes, the church and society still have a long way to go; as exhilarating as it is (and as much as I hope for you to grow into a place where caution about this isn't necessary), take this loving word from your Big Sister Dyke: be safe, OK?

Hug for you--

Anonymous said...

I read your blog a lot..... but hardly ever comment. I have you saved under my favorites. You say the things I can never say~ things that I only think.... and experience the things I sometimes wish I could experience.. I wish you well. Hugggs

JX said...

It is good to find your blog! We are in very similar environments doing very similar jobs--the only difference is I am a dude and you are a girl. I'm enjoying reading about your journey and I pray peace for you! Wouldn't it be great if more GLBT ministers could find each other?

Kate said...

Sounds like a lovely evening! Yeah, it's brilliant to be able to just be who you are -- even for only a little while. May it happen more and more often!

Cecilia said...

How beautiful. I had an opportunity like this with Beloved not too long ago. Holding hands walking down a street. Kissing her (appropriately... no R-rated stuff for us, we're middle aged) in a movie theater. I loved it so much.

Pax, C.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that your date went so very well! :-D That is so cool!
This part is how I felt yesterday after another harsh email from my ex-husband... "I was simply challenged to pray that his eyes, along with the eyes of most conservative Christians, would be opened and they would be freed from their ignorance." You said it! And I prayed it!!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

cdbWhere have you been the past several days? I've checked on you each day..... and you haven't been around. I hope that all is going well with you and yours.... Hugggggs

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

Hi, would you like to join a team blog I'm setting up, you seem to have some expertise in the right area?

Cheers Dave S