Tuesday, April 22, 2008

oh no! the gay ring


i was sitting at lunch with several Christian friends today and one of my friend's phones started ringing. it was a song i'd never heard before. but a guy friend of mine sitting next to me commented on how that was a guy singing about another guy. it was a love song apparently. he was petrified and immediately informed my friend that she had a gay ring.

she was equally mortified and seemed disgusted at the very thought of her cell phone being contaminated with a "gay ring." oh my gosh, call the authorities! everybody run for cover! quick, throw the cell phone into the pitcher of water at the table!

seriously though, every single person at the table started making jokes and freaking out. the poor girl who owned the phone was devastated. she immediately handed the phone to my guy friend and said, "fix it! i can't have a gay ring tone on my phone! please fix it!"

as if the phone was about to explode or something.

and there i sat, with a smirk on my face but a little twinge of pain in my soul. there we were, a group of christians stressing out about a ring tone from a song that just so happened to be written from a guy to another guy he apparently loved. look how far we've gone...

but again, i sat in silence. i still dont have the guts to speak up against instances like this because i dont want to be attacked like i am sometimes in these blogs. (by the way, anonymous - the negative gay bashing "prophet" one - please stop posting on my blog because i don't read them anymore anyway and i immediately push "reject" when i see your comments. so for everyone's sake, please stop writing because, with all do respect, you're wasting your time. you should start taking advantage of all the time you spend on trying to convince people of your interpretation of scripture, and you should start trusting in God's sovereignty, praying for people who are different from you, and loving them... never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit in an abiding Christian's life. He is sovereign and you are not.)

ok as i was saying... i was silent but i know someday i'll be more bold. i was just heart broken to see mature christians who truly enjoy loving people, all the sudden fall into the immature tactic of making fun of gay people and painting them in a horrible light. what if, instead of drawing attention to "gay rings" and "gay burritos" (see a previous blog) we actually started loving gay people? i think if Jesus happened to be at the table that day, he might have encouraged us to stop with our fruitless immaturity and start loving people. stop with the trivial. let's start loving and truly living.

6 comments:

Fran said...

This is so heartbreakingly sad. The gay cooties.

I mean - not to even hint that there is anything wrong with gay, even if there was, would Jesus not embrace the gay person as he did with the disenfranchised, the outsider, the stranger?

My heart goes out to you, but you are clearly on your way. Blessings in abundance and prayers a plenty for you!

Choralgrrl said...

Amen, girl.

And be patient with yourself, OK? You'll get there. Getting to the place where you can confront this stuff openly is a process, and it takes time.

This phone thing has years of training behind it; until the Church sends a better message, many of its sheep will be...well, SHEEP. Baaad behavior.

Joan K said...

My first thought when I saw the title of the post was, gay ring tone, must have it! But as I continued to read I was horrified by those "christians"

That is terrible. I'm sorry you have to deal with such stupidity and homophhobia. Those who are so eager to enforce the rules and make other people small should remember what Jesus said about the Pharisees.

I hate the thought of you in the wasteland surrounded by those folks. I know many denominations have groups for GLBT christians. Integrity is the one for Episcopalians. Maybe you could find a similar group online or in the real world.

Cecilia said...

I'm with FranIAm. So, so sad.

With you in prayer.

Pax, C.

jadedjabber said...

It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of fear that surrounds anything gay. Careful, you might catch it!

My soul sighs.....

Rachel said...

I for sure want to know what ring that is, and download it. On a serious note - sheesh - what grade is everyone in? 7th? I mean really. Gay ringtones? Gay food?

I am convinced that GLBT people are our modern day lepers, and I am ashamed.

Someday you'll be bold? Sounds like its already happening, in small ways, you recognized it, have spent some time writing about it, and clearly the Spirit is at work in you. Bless you.