Sunday, May 25, 2008

My First Love

the more and more i fall in love with Hope, the greater my love is for Christ. the deeper my appreciation for Him, His life, heart and sacrifice. the more i get to know Hope, the more i want to know Jesus, the Author of hope, Perfecter of our faith, and the Giver of all good things, including love.

as my love relationship with my beloved Hope increases, so too (as it should) my love for Christ increases. which made me think about my First Love, Jesus. i found this quote from C.S. Lewis to be incredibly challenging and significant today, as i think about the two greatest loves of my life, while always trying to remember to keep my First Love, my first love. 

Lewis writes,

"When I have learned to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now. Insofar as I learn to love my earthly dearest at the expense of God and instead of God, I shall be moving toward the state in which I shall not love my earthly dearest at all. When first things are put first, second things are not suppressed by increased."

let us all try and keep Christ our first Love today and everyday. no doubt, this will make us better lovers of God and better lovers of people altogether. i heard a pastor once say, "The main thing is to keep the Main Thing the Main Thing."

sidenote: i've realized my blog is a bit dark, which is a misrepresentation of me :) though i am mostly in the closet, i have never been more in the Light. any tips on how to change the template, without changing it to something that everyone else has? 

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

"the more and more i fall in love with Hope, the greater my love is for Christ."

That is so awesome! I know exactly what you mean too. Wonderful.

In regard to your blog color, I think it's alright. I think those who read what you write know your color doesn't match who you are.

It's kind of funny, I wanted to change mine too because I'm not really a "rose" color kind of girl and I was going to choose this black because it appeared to be unique. I think for now I will just leave it.

Blessings

Fran said...

How beautiful - and how true. Lewis does know how to talk of love, does he not?

I am moved by your words.

As for changing your blog template, it is not that hard and you will have to just retool things like your fonts and colors, it is not hard and is terrifying the first time you do it.

That said, I changed mine once and have been a combination of lazy and chicken to do it again!

KJ said...

I am always amazed when our "religious" detractors make matters related to glbt, believers and non-believers, all about sex. Have they not known true love in their lives? And if they have, why would they not want that for all?